Jane, Jane

//
Comments5

How I was vexed with you.

I thought things would just go along great once I sorted my color problems. Boy was I wrong.

I started the floral band only to discover that little 10 year old Jane did not plan her stitching very well. When she placed the vine, she found her flowers wouldn’t fit, so she squashed most of them in the top part!

See the squashed flowers? This picture is from Hands Across the Sea where you can buy the pattern as a “Little Gem” downloadable PDF now.

I, in my 41 year old wisdom, thought I would correct that “mistake,” so I proceeded to make the flowers the correct shape. Only to discover that then my vine, already stitched in place, was now up a row too high and the stems and leaves wouldn’t fit and ay yi yi, the whole thing would have to be adjusted bit by bit and would probably look really wonky if I kept going. Deep breath.

I took it ALL out. I charted it in some charting software, how I believed Jane would have made it had she the benefit of charting software. I put the whole project in timeout for a week. Then last night I restitched it. I think it looks great.

It may not be a faithful reproduction anymore, but honestly I would be so annoyed seeing those squashed flowers once it was framed up I just couldn’t leave them that way. I can live with asymmetry and imperfections in a lot of things but this floral band just. had. to. be. correct.

I have one more pale green leaf to add to each dark green leaf, then I move on to the last band, the really beautiful one which is, I think, the whole reason to stitch this sampler. I’ll aim to get it done in August.

5 Responses

Leave a Reply