It seems like alphabets have been finding their way to my needle these days. I’ve made a good start on the alphabet part of Stacy Nash’s Summer Garden Roll…
It looks like I need to catch up with the border, and get started on the huge vase of flowers that goes in the middle under the letters.
How could I resist The Drawn Thread Sampler of Stitches?! Of course I couldn’t! Here is A and B all done. And the C section started. Umm, Rachel you are right. I can’t limit myself to 2 letters a month! These motifs are like potato chips!
I like the colors. Ruth asked me to share what I’m using. We agree that while we love The Drawn Thread, sometimes the colors seem sort of dull. It is nice the designs are really well suited to making your own palette. Here is mine:
Dark red: Gloriana Rosewood
Light red: Belle Soie Tulip
Darker purple: Gloriana Grape
Lighter purple: Thread Gatherer African Queen
Darker Green: Gloriana Avonlea Green
Lighter Green: Thread Gatherer Tuscan Olive
Tan (basket): Gloriana Hazelnut
Brown (acorn cap): Belle Soie Harvest
Gold (on the acorn nut): Thread Gatherer Gingersnap
Cream: Soie Perlee 008 (called for)
I have one other gold ready for some other parts of the design later on: Thread Gatherer Burnished Gold (used on the Crown) I believe that there is a stitch later than needs 3-4 colors in the same family so will be adding a color or two for that section. I also need to decide on a metallic which will be used for several couched stitches. Maybe I’ll just go with gold but we’ll see. She calls for Bijoux! But I only have the one spool for the Bargello roll! Anyway, the same colors more or less are used on the whole project. Now that I’m stitching it, I wish I’d gone bolder on the linen choice, not a really variegated linen but something to tone done my colors which are looking quite bold on the cream!) But over all I love stitching with the silks and the rich colors are really pleasing to me.
The Milady’s Needle Stitcher’s Pocket is almost finished. I didn’t realize at first that it only has part of the alphabet on it! That’s strangely unsatisfying but it would spoil the proportions so I’ll accept it. All I need to do is finish the border. Easy Peasy.
I also worked on the ABC Sampler from Jeannette Douglas. I handily finished the first dividing bar and began getting the letters on there. I will make a plan to put on 2-3 letters and 3-4 specialty bands/motifs a month in order to finish it this year.
I have been thinking about how I will approach all these projects this year…there seem to be too many of them but many of you do a good job wrangling many WIPS and I think it’s manageable with a plan. I’ll consider it some more and put forward my ideas later this month.
Housekeeping: There is a new logo for the Smalls SAL now if you like to use it, as well as the dates for each month’s link up. You can find that all here: