Coming Right Along

//
Comment0

I got a lot done this weekend!


All week I have been fussing with this Sweetheart Tree ornament which I started in 2012, finished in 2015, and which has sat around “unfinished” for the last year. I was emboldened to try the same technique as the friendship A frame, but with a heart shape. It worked! I hand stitched the sides together and added a new level of complexity by trying to catch in the trim.  I am happy with it for a first try.  And it can go on the tree this year!


I finally found some pom pom trim I am happy with for the Cherished Stitches Summer Gathering pincushion-I didn’t care for the finishing shown and I wanted it to go with the others I have better-that just have a trim border and no fabric border/buttons on the front. Originally I really wanted some burgundy pom poms to complement the berries in the designs but couldn’t find just the right color. On a whim I ordered this green trim and it matched perfectly. So that’s done! I made a pocket for the lavender nutshells inside like I did for the Autumn one. I stitched the thing together on the machine, which ultimately worked as well as I hoped but I had to be really really careful to get the trim in straight.


Finally, I’ve been working on Heirloom Nativity. I wanted to get the first 6 rows (down to the shepherd scene) done this month and I’m almost there! Then I’ll switch over to the next project in rotation and try to get into a rhythm  for 2017!

 

 

Something New

//
Comment0


It’s been sitting there, all kitted, for several years. Then I put it on the frame this summer where it sat for several months. I went to start it and couldn’t consistently count to 34 to find the edge. So…then I decided I really needed to use some of that red marking string, the stuff like fishing line, because this was too big to mess up. At last, I’m off on what I consider will be my big project, one of two, for 2017!

I started with the 2nd band so I have a baseline for the pictorial elements above and below. That was a smart move and much easier than trying to center the star.


This lace is such an interesting thing to do and…I love silk!!!

In the meantime, I’m still finishing up some completed ornaments so they are ready for THIS Christmas! I’m so glad I did that friendship sampler as an A frame; I learned a lot to apply to finishing these ornaments!

Secret finish!

//
Comment0


Well, in the background ever since I started the blog, I’ve been working on this sweet little friendship sampler by JBW Designs as a gift for a dear friend. Her birthday was a while ago and I had gotten the stitching done but it took some figuring to manage the finish. I knew what I wanted but as I have never done something like this before, I didn’t know how to get there. At last! I did it! Unfortunately I didn’t do a step by step of the finish process to help anyone out, much less help me remember what I did! I’ll try to describe it.

Making a tabletop a-frame picture:

  1. Cut mounting board allowing 1/2″ margin for design. You need 4.
  2. Cut 3 fabric pieces and trim design. 2 fabric pieces for back panel  and one for reverse of design part. A 1″ margin was plenty.
  3. Cut batting 1/2″ smaller than boards for each board-need 4.
  4. Worked best to put batting and fabric on smooth side of board, mitre corners, (a few stitches helped  for the tricky corners) then use adhesive on “inside” parts to hold down the edges and stick the 2 boards together.
  5. Don’t forget to put a ribbon in the center base of each card to brace the bottom! Use glue for this.
  6. BUT!!! Glue was too messy and ineffective to use for whole border! Don’t use glue! Much better to ladder stitch the edges together for a nice finish.
  7. Stitch top panels together along edge and add bow.

Here is the progress, and finish! I’m quite happy with it!