Another Month, a New Batch of Starts

//
Comments3

I finished Fraktur Friends! I love it!

 (Where is my picture??)

To celebrate, I kitted up all the things I hope to work on (and complete) in the next  month. And then I started them all.

First, the 2001 Prairie Schooler Santa. 2001 is important for me because it is my anniversary year. I like that the Santa for this year has a Partridge in a Pear Tree which is one of my favorite Christmas motifs.

 

Next, I started the first of the five Victoria Samplers Biscornuments. I have MANY charts for biscornus and I have never made one. I love the shape. For some reason I find it a bit intimidating. And I am not sure I want to stitch the same design twice for both sides. The Biscornuments are  small. Each is only about 2.5 inches across. And you only stitch one side. Seems like a good way to begin my foray into this kind of project. Plus, the design is beautiful, quick to stitch, interesting mix of specialty stitches, and includes the most lovely ingredients, silk and Kreinik.These are going really quickly-I’ve already got the first face stitched up of the 2 I plan to make right away.

 

I have been collecting up the out of print Crossed Wing Collection Silken Wings kits. They are stitched on 40 ct silk gauze, one strand of silk over one with tent stitch. I have never done this kind of project before but I put one in my “do” pile this year back in January and I’m going for it! I am starting on the smallest one I have, the cardinal.


Boy. I have been blessed with quite good eyes, I think, but this requires magnification. I cannot even see if I make a mistake, and I did make one, going over 2 threads instead of 1 on one stitch, which was an act and a half to trim out and redo. You probably can hardly tell what this is from the piddly amount done so far-even though the tent stitch goes fast! But it does promise to be awfully cute. I am not interested in mounting this in a box or brooch like most are shown, so maybe a tiny frame? a Christmas ornament? What do you do with this kind of thing?

I will feel so productive if I get these done this month, and I think there’s a chance!

Improving My Setup

//
Comment0

Earlier this summer, I wanted to shape up the situation on Joyful World. The extra fabric was driving me nuts and I was nervous about how it could get damaged or stained just all hanging out. And also as I re-position the project, I don’t want the q snap to press on the stitches. So. I finally cut some fleece to protect the stitching and…made myself a grime guard for this q snap!

First of all, by adding the fleece, I can now keep my project super tight in the q snap. Yay! This is a big improvement! Also, my stitches are not getting as squashed and the edges of the snaps are not threatening to poke holes in the linen.


Next, making the grime guard was so simple and took so little time I don’t know WHY I didn’t do it before, and you can be sure I will soon make covers for all my projects until I have one for each that I keep in the snaps for a while. I used the directions here at Cross Stitch Forum. These are very good directions with nice pictures. I had no trouble at all figuring it out. And, it only took me about 1/2 an hour! I am totally delighted with the product for the amount of time and effort involved.


For my next one I do plan to make a few adjustments. I think I’ll add 2 inches, not 1, to the circumference on the frame because it seems either my measuring or sewing is off, or I have too much material to stuff in there-basically I’d like the guard to be a little less tight. Likewise, I will make sure the width of the fabric is at least 6 inches, maybe even a bit more, 6 1/2. I don’t mind having a smaller window but I DO want all my extra linen to get tucked up in the guard.

My next improvement will be making some project envelopes but that will have to wait until I have a much bigger block of time!

PS: I decided to do August after all. That will give me the most flexibility in choosing subsequent months when I get behind again! I’m all ready to go!

July “Mediums”

//
Comments2

My July “Smalls” were more like “Mediums” for me. I did get in a good amount of stitching considering it is summer and my schedule has been…not a schedule.

First, May for Joyful World. The cats are so cute! Again, no plan yet for the grass along the bottom. I am leaving all this ground for each month till last. So for me, it’s done. Should I skip June and July and forge ahead to August to keep up? Hmmm. I love the flamingos in July! Maybe I’ll do them next!


Next, almost finished is the Fraktur Friends Silver Needle piece by Plum Street. This is so fun. I put in some special touches, the eyelets for the brown and gold flowers and the satin stitching on the wings. The effect on the wings was not what I planned but I still like it. It looks like shingles and while I would be happier with a more defined checkerboard shape, overall I do like the look so I’m leaving it as is. You can see I have a few little sections to finish up:

I was going to make a pin pillow like the model shows and did even buy the chenille. But this would be kind of a big pin pillow. I think it is better framed, so that’s my plan. Then, in the future, someday, I will do it again but tiny, when I have learned to stitch itsy bitsy on 52/60 ct and then I will make the world’s cutest birdies pillow!